šŸ“– Day 14 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - SLEEP

I completely relate, Harmony! Sometimes I wonder, does my body truly NEED this magic 8 hours, or is it my belief of that that makes it true?? So interesting!

1 Like

Hello beautiful people :sleeping:

Sleep :zzz: is definitely sacred for this vehicleā€¦

I noticed when I watch a movie :movie_camera: I tend to dream something of similar ā€¦. Definitely affects my sleep state.

However, when meditation :woman_in_lotus_position:t4: is the last thing that is in play , the dreams are INSIGHTFUL, beautiful and peacefulā€¦

As I study myself in my ritual towards winding down I can witness how things will unfold as far as how the body rests. ā€¦

Ram Das speaks about sleeping with his beads on his chest and for a long time I had adapted the practice of falling a SLEEP counting my blessingsā€¦ And too would wake up counting .

:balloon:

1 Like

Iā€™ve had a long time love/hate relationship with sleep, working thru almost obsessively all the various sleep hygiene protocols (temperature, light, noise, electronics, etc.) to ensure I get enough sleep.

Lately I have been relaxing my grasping/clinging to my need for the best sleep to just let it be and take it as it comes. Many nights I will wake up at around 3am and be unable to go back to sleep. Now I just take it as an invitation to be with what is, sit up and meditate for half hour or so, and then sink back into sleep. If I go back to sleep thatā€™s fine and as it is. If not, thatā€™s fine and as it is as well and I remain curiously witnessing how that impacts my consciousness that day.

Like today, having been awake between 3:30-5:30am, meditating and chanting (in consciousness) SRI RAMā€¦ and just witnessing how that affects my emotional and energy levels and not being as reactive today.

4 Likes

A couple of months ago I started drinking blue lotus tea before going to sleep. Itā€™s fascinating how it supports the dream state. Since Iā€™m working with this plant, I can remember every dream I have, which enables me to reflect upon what I have been processing during the night.

1 Like

I love the idea of perhaps not actually needing that much sleep. I feel like I need it. Tons of it. Itā€™s like I canā€™t get enough of the stuff. Before I had my children I would regularly burn the candle at both ends. Perhaps itā€™s finally caught up with me. Sleeping is one of my most favourite things to do!

2 Likes

I will look for blue lotus tea! I have not heard of it before and especially love working with dreams. Thank you.

2 Likes

My ability to deal with lack of actual sleep has amazed me over this past 5 years or so. Maybe it is something that happens when you are older, retired, and more susceptible maybe to full moon energies. I donā€™t know; I am aware that often around full moon time I am unable to sleep, so like you said, just lay awake chanting or breathing or conscious dreaming. And the next day, I am fine! Sometimes, I take a nap and not really sure if that happens more on those days or not. Naptime is not sleep for me, though, just more lying still meditating or practicing. Thanks for your share.

1 Like