📖 Day 8 Cookbook Discussion Prompt - STUDY

:face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears: :face_holding_back_tears: :sob: :sob: :sob: :sob:

Thank you.

2 Likes

4 Likes

I enjoy doing this as well. I am always surprised how it all resonates with my current trip :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for recommending the On Being interview with John O ~ I listened this morning and really enjoyed it! :pray:t4::purple_heart:

1 Like

In my morning reflection, I drew the angel card “willingness”. Reflecting on that with the day 8 topic, I made an effort to listen to someone new to me to possibly gain fresh insights. I’m very grateful to have stumbled upon this, Lisa Romero has some beautiful topics that I am so excited to carry along in my practice! I just ordered her book, A Bridge to Spirit. I look forward to reading it! Feeling so peaceful this evening, I hope everyone is doing well!

3 Likes

This book was a life changer for me. Yogananda is one of my buddies.

5 Likes

Thank you all, so many new books to add to my wishlist

I recently finished Alan Watts

Many many sections within were very helpful especially the final chapters.

I’ve also gained quite a bit from Richard Rohr’s books and Pema Chodrens. And surprisingly, some verses from the Bible albeit interpreted from a more unitive framework (not traditional Christianity).

I also read quite a bit on cognitive neuroscience and find personally that an integration of some “western” understanding for some of the physiological basis that impacts our consciousness to be extremely helpful. Here is a recent very very helpful read by Dr. Anna Lembke.

3 Likes

Oh I love this!! What a beautiful way ot share these teachings

1 Like

I have not read the Bhagavad Gita, but the owner where I am cat sitting has a copy of a translation by Stephen Mitchell that I intend to be my first entry to this material. Most of my previous spiritual study has been Buddhist-oriented and I am looking forward to expanding my perspective. Many paths to the top of the mountain!

3 Likes

Emily, thank you! Would my 19, 20, and 22-year-old granddaughters appreciate this book? They’re very into women’s rights and I’m hoping they notice my happiness and also seek enlightenment as they move forward in life.

1 Like

One of my sons has been reading a poet, Rupi Kuar. She is evidently a poet who performs her poetry live. Everything he’s shared with me so far has been right along with what we are learning here
 which brings me hope that my son will join me in this journey soon. Here’s one of her poems:

“There are days
when the light flickers
and then I remember
I am the light
I go in
and switch it back on”

THANK YOU to everyone who has shared loved resources here in response to this study prompt. I am very grateful to you.

4 Likes

One of my favorite poems that I heard over five years ago at a yoga class. Also, the book called “The four agreements” by Don Miguel Ruiz has been a staple in my personal and spiritual development over the years. I have found it helpful reading it multiple times over the years because each time, I took different aspects of the book differently based on what was happening in my life. Hope you all are staying well and enjoying this course : )

The Invitation : by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.

It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon.

I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life’s betrayals or have become shrivelled and closed from fear of further pain.

I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it, or fade it, or fix it.

I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own; if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, be realistic, remember the limitations of being human.

It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me is true

I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself. If you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul.

If you can be faithless and therefore trustworthy.

I want to know if you can see Beauty even when it is not pretty every day. And if you can source your own life from its presence.

I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand at the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, ‘Yes.’

It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.

I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone and do what needs to be done to feed the children.

It doesn’t interest me who you know or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the centre of the fire with me and not shrink back.

It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom you have studied.
I want to know what sustains you from the inside when all else falls away.

I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

5 Likes

I think it would be a great gift for anyone! It is channeled, though, and Spring talks about her experiences being visited by Harriet’s spirit while writing the book, which I would have been freaked out by in my early 20s. I feel like the younger generations are more open to things like that but I don’t know for sure. It is a beautiful text, though, with a lot of great wisdom, inspiration, and hope for a better future for our country if enough people get on board.

2 Likes

This book :closed_book: is an audio :headphones: book that I can have on all the time but especially when lying, resting and daydreaming

Even today after not having heard it for ages, because I’m reading the lovely long Dune series! I still woke with one of the poems in my mind :pray:t3:

Let’s say I was thinking of fields of flowers :sunflower: where one can do no wrong
 :heart::heart::heart:

My iPhone :calling: won’t let me upload the photo!

But my favourite book on Rumi so far is called “The Essential Rumi” ‘New Expanded Edition’ and the narration is just perfection :sparkles:

4 Likes

YES! One of my all time favorite poems ever!!! Thank you for bringing it in!

1 Like

Hello beautiful people :palms_up_together:

ACIM has definitely expanded my AWARENESS of the distortion of the Mind & Ego.

First time I mastermind this book with friends, it would bring us profound LESSONS even before we studied the chapter
 It was helping us integrate each lesson at a deeper level.

JesĂșs & mastership book :closed_book: expanded my Mind with so many beautiful TEACHINGS of how Jesus was prepare to be “The Messiah” because he was born human. His preparation is ours too

In one of his preparations explained be mindful that what we RESIST will PERSIST!” Handle with LOVE :two_hearts:instead
. Powerful teachings.

Fantastic book :open_book:

I have a great connection with Jesus

IThis teaching has opened up the doors to an opportunity I wasn’t aware of

Connecting to book :closed_book:, image, mantra etc
 Again another SIMPLE way of guiding me to connect :exploding_head::partying_face::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:.

I will definitely put into practice more frequently

Ram Das has been walking with me for a couple years Now 

About 2 years ago I was going through a huge change in my life
 I let go of my career , my grandmother passed 
 So many ATTACHMENTS

I listened to Ram Das everyday for 2 months on those 5min clips they have on Gaia
 I could hear him speaking directly to me 
 Telling me it’s ok to feel Sad & admit that you are Deeply SAD
 He would say “I hate to break it to you but EVERYONE is going to die!” No one gets out alive! :joy:

He gave me courage to be vulnerable
:weary: Being vulnerable gives people the example to be ok to be themselves 

I took this pix one day walking my dog
 I was listening to Ram Das & I looked over and I couldn’t believe my EYES
 I had to take a pix

His presence need to be seen
 I walked by another day & the image had disappeared. He’s very clever

Every time :exploding_head::face_with_monocle::thinking:

:balloon:

2 Likes

in the middle of this one now! loving it

I love Stephen Mitchell’s translation of the Tao Te Ching as well!

1 Like

Testimony of Light - Helen Greaves.

A friend of Helen’s, who was a nun for 25 years and pursued mysticism for 25 years after that, died and then came to Helen from beyond to share teachings from the afterlife.

So, the book is channeled from Sister Francis to Helen. It’s an easy read, from 1969, and especially may be helpful to those who have just lost a loved one, or who have a fear of death. There is great wisdom in the book. My favorite quote, briefly:

"I strove always for the ‘break-through’ to spirit, union with the soul, contact with the Great Forces
 I struggled, fasted, sought for what was already present, perfect, and everlasting within me. Like most of us in the body life I was in illusion; lost in glamour. I looked for the spirit to reveal itself to me, when all that was necessary was ‘relaxation unto God.’ The Spirit was always with me

Light, Divinity, Reality, all-pervading consciousness, were there for my acceptance. Much greater progress would have been made by ‘letting go’ of all these human images and allowing the spirit to absorb me. Relax and allow the Spirit to stream through you. Swim with the tide of the Spirit."

This really spoke to me about being gentle, humble, and easy with oneself in the process of seeking spirit. Remembering we do not have to strive and try so hard, we just have to relax into the Spirit, for the Spirit is always there within us.

1 Like